Scrimmage Recap: Chivas USA 1, OC Spartans FC 2
CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, April 2, 2013) – Playing with a starting eleven comprised of mostly back-up players, Chivas USA fell 2-1 Tuesday morning to OC Spartans FC at The Home Depot Center’s Field 6. The Rojiblancos knocked in their lone goal in the second half on a deflected shot by Marco Delgado. But the visiting side was led by two second-half scores, the first coming on a penalty kick by Leopoldo Morales and the game-winner by Manuel Asprilla.
· Because of a change in Chivas USA’s MLS schedule made to accommodate CONCACAF Champions League semifinals, the Red-and-White have a bye week, as their match at Seattle – originally programmed for April 7 – was moved to Sept. 4. As a result, the Goats will host another scrimmage this Friday against Cal FC at a field to be determined at 10 a.m.
· In the sixth minute, a cross by Giovani Casillas from the left side of the box to forward Julio Morales was initially broken up by Spartan’s goalkeeper Giovani Hernandez. Morales came back with a follow-up shot but the left-footed attempt sailed over the crossbar.
· Midfielder Jose Manuel Rivera looked to put the Rojiblancos on the board when he let loose a pair of strikes from inside the box and beyond the arc in the 12th and 16th minute, respectively. But the first attempt was high and Hernandez was able to trap the second. Rivera also looked to set-up his teammates for a potential score. On the next possession after his second strike, Rivera slotted a ball to Casillas inside the box, but the pass was not brought in cleanly and the threat was broken up.
· The Goats continued to get into dangerous spots and knock on the goal’s door throughout the first half. In the 20th minute Casillas sent a cross from the left side again to a cutting Morales, but the header attempt by the near post traveled wide. Midfielder Laurent Courtois, also working on the left seam, faked a cross attempt and brought the ball back in, and proceeded to work the ball into the box to get off a strike, but the shot was high in the 33rd minute. Playing a 40-minute first half, the sides went into half time locked at zero.
· The Spartans broke the scoreless tie in the 45th minute when Morales cashed in a penalty kick awarded to the visiting side after a foul was called inside the box on forward Omar Jasseh a minute earlier to take a 1-0 advantage.
· The Rojiblancos evened the score in 63rd when Delgado, working the ball on the right wing, got off a shot from about ten yards out. The shot deflected off a Spartans defender and went passed Hernandez’s left for the score. The visitors answered right back a minute later on a counter attack on Asprilla’s one-on-one unassisted run on the left wing. Asprilla’s shot from inside the box beat Chivas USA goalkeeper Patrick McLain (who started the second half in goal) to his left for the 2-1 result.
Chivas USA currently sits in second place in the Western Conference and has the following weekend off from MLS competition. The Rojiblancos return to league play on April 13 and look to extend their unbeaten streak to five when they host conference rival the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center starting at 7:30 p.m. (PT). The match can be heard in Spanish on W Radio 690 AM. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.
Chivas USA vs. OC Spartans FC
April 2, 2013 – The Home Depot Center – Field 6
OCS – Leopoldo Morales (PK) 45
CHV – Cruz Hernandez (OG) 63
OCS – Manuel Asprilla (unassisted) 64
CHIVAS USA – Tim Melia (Patrick McLain 41), Emilio Orozco, Steven Purdy-Ramos, Carlos Borja, Marky Delgado, Jose Manuel Rivera, Marvin Iraheta, Laurent Courtois, Josue Soto, Giovani Casillas (Daniel Antunez 46), Julio Morales
Subs not used: none
OC Spartans FC – Giovani Hernandez (Normando Mariscal 75), Carlos Torres Brandon Moon Choo 81), Erylis Garcia, Samuel Nicholson, Cruz Hernandez, Julio Madrigal (Jose Anthony 54), Jerry Martinez, Leopoldo Morales (Bronie Kooshel 69), Manuel Asprilla (Armando Rocha 73), Bryan de la fuente, Omar Jasseh (Irving Garcia 54)
Subs not used: Cheun Yong Park
CHV – Carlos Borja (yellow, foul) 30
Referee: Daniel Radford
Referee's Assistants: Luis Gutierrez, Israel Fernandez
Time of Game: 1:42
Weather: Cloudy, 65 degrees