Preseason: Chivas USA earn victory in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS – (Friday, February 15, 2013) – Chivas USA defeated the Colorado Rapids, 3-0, Friday night in its first preseason friendly on the road at Sam Boyd Stadium to extend its unbeaten streak to six. The Rojiblancos went ahead in the first half on an Eric Avila score and were able to pull away with two second-half goals by Juan Agudelo and Jose Correa. Goalkeeper Dan Kennedy started his first match of camp in goal, playing 74 minutes to help secure the shutout.
· Chivas USA will play its next scrimmage at Titan Stadium on the campus of Cal State Fullerton when it faces Gangwon FC for a preseason rematch on Tuesday, Feb. 19, beginning at 7 p.m. (PT).
· The Red-and-White went ahead in the third minute as they pushed their numbers into the attacking third. Avila, acquired in a trade this offseason, gathered the ball inside the right side of the box and unleashed a strike that beat Colorado goalkeeper Steward Ceus to his right for the 1-0 advantage.
· Chivas USA continued to knock on the Colorado door on a number of promising looks in the first half. In the 26th minute, midfielder Laurent Courtois and forward Julio Morales worked a give-and-go on the left seam that left Morales in a one-on-one with Ceus, but Morales’ left-footed shot sailed wide left of the post.
· In the 56th minute, the Rojiblancos took a two-goal lead after being awarded a penalty kick when Ceus was called for a foul inside the box on forward Miller Bolaños. Kennedy placed a long ball over the top into the box and Bolaños was spun around by Ceus as they both attempted to gather the loose ball. Forward Juan Agudelo – who came on as a sub to start the second half – lined up and placed the penalty kick to the back of the net for his first goal of the preseason.
· Four minutes later, Josue Soto worked the ball near the left sideline and crossed the ball near the short area. Ceus got a hand on the ball but left the net vulnerable for a rebound. As the sides scrambled to control the loose ball, Avila was able to record his second assist of camp when he chipped the ball to Correa, who tapped in his fifth goal of camp for the 3-0 result against the Western Conference opponent.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center as part of MLS’ March to Soccer on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT). Ticket packs and individual tickets are now available. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.
Chivas USA (5-0-1) vs. Colorado Rapids
February 15, 2013 – Sam Boyd Stadium – Las Vegas, NV
CHV - Eric Avila 1 (unassisted) 3'
CHV - Juan Agudelo 1 (PK) 56'
CHV - Jose Correa 5 (Eric Avila 2) 60'
Chivas USA – Dan Kennedy (Tim Melia 74), Mario de Luna (Bobby Burling 79), Joaquin Velasquez (Jose Manuel Rivera 77), Carlos Borja (Walter Vilchez 46), Eric Avila (Marky Delgado 85), Edgar Mejia, Laurent Courtois (Josue Soto 28), Marvin Iraheta, Giovani Casillas (Daniel Antunez 69), Miller Bolaños (Jose Correa 59), Julio Morales (Juan Agudelo 46)
Subs not used: Steve Purdy, Carlos Alvarez, Emilio Orozco.
Colorado Rapids - Steward Ceus, Brian Mullan, Drew Moor, Diego Calderón, Anthony Wallace (Chris Klute 62), Hendry Thomas, Pablo Mastroeni (Dillon Powers 69), Kamani Hill, Tony Cascio (Kevin Harbottle 59), Deshorn Brown, Atiba Harris (Cesar Romero* 64)
CHV - Walter Vilchez (yellow, foul) 61
COL – Kevin Harbottle (ejection) 90’
Weather: Clear, 63 degrees