Chivas USA plays Gangwon FC to scoreless draw
FULLERTON, Calif. – (Tuesday, February 19, 2013) – Chivas USA and Gangwon FC played to a 0-0 draw Tuesday night at Titan Stadium on the campus of Cal State Fullerton in its seventh preseason scrimmage. Goalkeeper Dan Kennedy made his second start of camp to help preserve the clean sheet.
· Chivas USA plays its next preseason friendly on Saturday, Feb. 23, against the L.A. Blues at The Home Depot Center’s Track and Field Stadium starting at 11 a.m. (PT).
· The first half featured plenty of physical play and battles over ball control. In the 11th minute, forward Juan Agudelo controlled a pass off his chest inside the box and got off a strike, but the attempt sailed over the crossbar. The Rojiblancos had solid looks at goal on two free kicks – in the 35th minute and again in the 42nd. Left back Carlos Borja took the second of the two kicks from about 30 yards out and placed it near the left post to a cutting Bobby Burling, but the header attempt sailed high of the crossbar.
· The Red-and-White nearly went into the second half up a goal when midfielder Carlos Alvarez found space inside the box to get off a shot, but his strike was controlled by Gangwon’s goalkeeper.
· In the second half Chivas USA controlled more of the ball and continued to get into dangerous spots. In the 49th minute, forward Tristan Bowen – who came on as a sub to start the second half – worked the ball from the left wing and sent a low cross into the box, but the pass went through untouched. Three minutes later Agudelo worked the ball around the Gangwon defense near the penalty arc and dropped off a pass on the left wing to Josue Soto, but the midfielder’s left-footed cross was broken up by the ‘keeper.
· The goal posts were unfriendly to the Red-and-White as Daniel Antunez and Bowen saw their strikes deflect off the post in the 52nd and 76th minute, respectively, to keep the final result locked at zero.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center as part of MLS’ March to Soccer on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT). Ticket packs and individual tickets are now available. For more information please call 1-877-244-8271. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.
Chivas USA (5-0-2) vs. Gangwon FC
February 19, 2013 – Titan Stadium – Fullerton, Calif.
Chivas USA – Dan Kennedy (Tim Melia 46, Patrick McLain 72), Carlos Borja (Emilio Orozco 46), Steven Purdy, Bobby Burling, Daniel Antunez, Josue Soto, Jose Manuel Rivera, Carlos Alvarez, Marky Delgado, Jose Correa (Tristan Bowen 46), Juan Agudelo (Julio Morales 60)
CHV – Daniel Antunez (yellow, foul) 20
GFC – Jin K. S. (yellow, foul) 28
GFC – Kim J. S. (yellow, foul) 38
Referee: Jose Pacheco
Referee's Assistants: Randy Hoffman, Luis Gutierrez
Time of Game: 1:49
Weather: Cloudy, 52 degrees