Chivas USA defeat SC Storm in preseason scrimmage
CARSON, Calif. (Wednesday, January 30, 2013) – Chivas USA defeated FC Santa Clarita Storm, 4-1, Wednesday morning at The Home Depot Center’s Field 6 in its second preseason scrimmage. The Rojiblancos took a two-goal advantage on goals by Miller Bolaños and Jose Correa in the first 31 minutes. The Storm answered back with a Miguel Ibarra score to cut the lead in half, but the Red-and-White would pull away with two unanswered goals by Bolaños and Jose Manuel Rivera, all in the first half for the rout.
· Chivas USA’s next scrimmage will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 5 at 11:30 a.m. (PT) against the Chicago Fire at The Home Depot Center’s Field 6.
· The Rojiblancos got into dangerous spots in their attacking third from the opening whistle. In the 18th minute, midfielder and academy product Marky Delgado served a pass from the right wing to Bolaños, who controlled the pass inside the box, squared up and beat the Storm goalkeeper.
· In the 31st minute, midfielder Giovani Casillas served a pass from the left wing into the box, where Correa was able to tap in the score for the Goats. Two minutes later, the Storm got on the board when Ibarra worked the ball on the left seam and found the back of the net unassisted to cut the lead down to 2-1.
· Chivas USA goalkeeper Patrick McLain got the start in the first half and was tested on two solid looks by the Storm´s offense. In the 14th minute, McLain denied a Storm attacker on a one-on-one breakaway.
· Bolaños knocked in his second goal of the match in the 35th minute when he and Correa combined for a give-and-go just outside the box. After passing the ball off to Correa above the arc, Bolaños made his run down the right seam and found the back of the net to give the Goats a 3-1 advantage.
· Four minutes later, Delgado recorded his second assist of the match when he headed a ball from Edgar Mejia near the right post back toward the center of the box, where Rivera gathered the pass and put the exclamation point on the Rojiblancos´ four-goal performance and sealing the 4-1 win.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center for First Kick 2013 on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. PT. Ticket packs are available for as little as $10 per ticket. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.
Chivas USA (2-0-0) vs. FC Santa Clarita Storm
January 30, 2013 – Home Depot Center – Field 6
CHV - Miller Bolaños 1 (Marky Delgado 1) 18
CHV - Jose Correa 2 (Giovani Casillas 1) 31
FCSC Storm - Miguel Ibarra (unassisted) 33
CHV - Miller Bolaños 2 (Jose Correa 1) 35
CHV - Jose Manuel Rivera 1 (Marky Delgado 2) 39
Chivas USA – Patrick McLain (Tim Melia 46), Walter Vilchez (Carlos Borja 46), Mario de Luna (Steve Purdy 35, Daniel Antunez 65), Joaquin Velasquez (Bobby Burling 35, Emilio Orozco 65), Edgar Mejia (Marvin Iraheta 46), Jorge Villafaña (Laurent Courtois 46), Marky Delgado (James Riley 46), Giovani Casillas (Josue Soto 35, Narciso Cuevas 65), Jose Manuel Rivera (Carlos Alvarez 46), Miller Bolaños (Paul Islas 46, Tristan Bowen 76), Jose Correa (Eric Avila 46),
Subs not used: Dan Kennedy, Ben Zemanski
CHV – None
FCSC Storm - None
Time of Game: 1:47
Weather: Clear, 70 degrees