Reserves: Chivas USA draws with Vancouver Whitecaps
CARSON, Calif. (Friday, Aug 3, 2012) – Chivas USA’s reserve team and Vancouver Whitecaps FC’s reserve team played to a 1-1 draw Friday morning at The Home Depot Center’s Field 4, in MLS Reserve League action. Both scores came in the first half when Vancouver’s midfielder Atiba Harris cashed-in a penalty for his team and Casey Townsend knocked in the equalizer for the Goats.
· The Goats’ next reserves match will take place on Tuesday, Aug. 7 at 11:00 am (PT) versus the LA Galaxy at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California, Field TBD.
· Both teams came out attacking fast in their final thirds of the pitch, taking strikes from outside the box early and often. Vancouver midfielder Bryce Alderson’s strike in the third minute sailed just over the crossbar of Goats’ goalkeeper Tim Melia’s net. Chivas USA responded shortly with an attempt of its own in the eighth minute, when forward Jose Correa’s shot from the right wing struck the far post. Tristan Bowen followed the sequence with a header, but Whitecaps FC’s goalkeeper Brad Knighton was able to tip save it over the crossbar.
· The ‘Caps took the early advantage in the 14th minute, after defender Jorge Villanfaña was called for an accidental hand ball while attempting a sliding deflection of a cross inside the box. Harris lined up and placed the shot towards the back of the net with an accurate touch.
· The match was tied shortly after in the 16th minute when Juan Agudelo worked the ball on the right wing, then threaded a pass to Correa who crossed it to the cutting Townsend, who tapped it in with a sliding attack in the short area.
· Both clubs continued to look for the advantage in the second half and had solid looks. The ‘Caps produced a number of attacks with long-balls over the top of the Goats’ defense. In the 77th minute sub Caleb Clarke found fellow sub Brett Taylor with a pass over the top, which caused Melia to come deep out of his net to break up the threat.
· Sub Cesar Romero’s strike in the 87th minute appeared to be on target, but substitute goalkeeper Brian Sylvestre was able to deflect the shot wide left and out of bounds to preserve the tie.
· Chivas USA has a week off from MLS action as it prepares for the third and final meeting in this season’s SuperClásico series against the LA Galaxy, Sunday Aug. 12, at The Home Depot Center for an 8:00 pm PT match. The teams come into the game tied with one victory each in the series. The match will broadcast on television, live on ESPN2 in English and ESPN Deportes in Spanish. For more information about the game please visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa
Chivas USA (3-2-3) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (3-3-2)
Aug. 3, 2012 – Home Depot Center – Field 4
VAN – Atiba Harris (PK) 14
CHV – Casey Townsend (Jose Correa) 16
Chivas USA Reserves – Tim Melia, Jorge Villafaña, John Valencia, Rauwshan McKenzie (N. Awkari 45), R. Rodriguez (A. Dheming 66), Laurent Courtois, I. Quezada (Cesar Romero 74), Juan Agudelo (Paolo Cardozo 45), Casey Townsend, Jose Correa, Tristan Bowen
Subs not used: Patrick McLain
Vancouver Whitecaps FC Reserves – Brad Knighton (Brian Sylvestre 45), Greg Klazura, Russell Teibert, James Farenhorst, Carlyle Mitchell, Bryce Alderson (Jake Lensky 70), Atiba Harris (Brett Taylor 72), Matt Watson, Etienne Barbara (Bobby Jhutty 72), Kenny Miller (Caleb Clarke 67), Michael Nanchoff
Subs not used:
VAN – Greg Klazura (yellow, foul) 23
VAN – Atiba Harris (yellow, foul) 32
VAN – Bryce Alderson (yellow, foul) 39
VAN – Michael Nonchoff (yellow) 45
CHV – Jose Correa (yellow, foul) 57
Referee: Alejandro Mariscal
Referee's Assistants: Steve Elliott, Eduardo Mariscal
4th Official: Felishia Mariscal
Time of Game: 1:47
Weather: Sunny, 79 degrees