Reserves: Chivas 0, Galaxy 1
CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, Aug 7, 2012) – Chivas USA’s (3-3-3) reserve team fell, 1-0, against the LA Galaxy’s (4-1-1) reserve team Tuesday afternoon at The Home Depot Center’s Field 4, in MLS Reserve League action. The lone goal and eventual game-winner came in the second half on a Jack McBean tap-in near the short area in the 78th minute.
· The Goats’ next reserves match will take place on Sunday, Sept. 9 at 11:00 am (PT) versus the Seattle Sounders FC at Starfire Sports Complex in Tukwila, Wash.
· Both teams came out attacking the opposing net trying to take the early advantage. The Galaxy were able to move the ball with precision into their attacking third, most notably down the right sideline, where the offense was able to generate crisp give-and-go touches going forward. LA had a golden opportunity to go up a goal in the 21st minute when it was awarded a penalty kick after midfielder Hector Jimenez was taken down inside the right side of the box. Mike Magee lined up to take the penalty but could not capitalize, as his shot traveled wide left of the post.
· The Goats also had their looks in and around the 18-yard box. In the 24th minute, forward Casey Townsend worked the ball up the right seam and dropped it off to Cesar Romero to his right. Romero took a strike but the shot faded left outside the far post. Chivas USA again came close to breaking the scoreless tie in the 40th minute off a Paolo Cardozo free kick. The midfielder took the kick from the right of the semi-circle, but struck the crossbar just out of the reach of Galaxy goalkeeper Brian Perk’s reach.
· Both clubs continued to look for the advantage in the second half and had solid looks. The Galaxy was able to possess the ball longer in the first part of the second half. Midfielder Rafael Garcia was active in the attacking third, taking a number of shots from just outside the box. His free kick in the 52nd minute cleared the defensive wall and was on target, but Chivas USA goalkeeper Tim Melia was steady and captured the shot. Minutes later, it was Melia again who was able to deny Garcia’s tap-in attempt from about 15 yards out.
· After knocking on the door on a number of plays, the Galaxy was able find the back of the net in the 78th minute, when McBean recovered a rebound after Raul Mendiola took a shot inside the box. Melia was able to deny Mendiola’s shot, but not McBean’s follow-up shot for the eventual 1-0 game-winner.
· The Rojiblancos continued their attack looking for the equalizer, most notably on the left sideline, where they were able to generate a number of dangerous centers. Forward Tristan Bowen looked to set up fellow forward Jose Correa (sub). Again the Goats nearly found the back of the net, this time on set pieces. Midfielder Jorge Villafaña´s kick in the 82nd minute traveled over the cross bar and minutes later, Correa was unable to cash-in a Romero corner kick, as his tap-in attempt also sailed high.
· Chivas USA had a week off from MLS action as it prepared for the third and final meeting in this season’s SuperClásico series against the LA Galaxy, Sunday Aug. 12, at The Home Depot Center for an 8:00 pm PT match. The teams come into the game tied with one victory each in the series. The match will broadcast on television, live on ESPN2 in English and ESPN Deportes in Spanish. For more information about the game please visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa
Chivas USA (3-3-3) vs. LA Galaxy (4-1-1)
Aug. 7, 2012 – Home Depot Center – Field 4
LA – Jack McBean 78
Chivas USA Reserves – Tim Melia, Rauwshan McKenzie , Nelson Akwari, Ruben Rodriguez , Anthony Dheming, Laurent Courtois, Paolo Cardozo, Jorge Villafaña, Cesar Romero, Casey Townsend (Jose Correa 46), Tristan Bowen.
Subs not used: Patrick McLain, Jake McGuire, Ricardo Vazquez
LA Galaxy Reserves – Brian Perk (Brian Rowe 46), Bryan Jordan, Tommy Meyer, Andrew Boyens, Todd Dunivant, Hector Jimenez (Oscar Sorto 75), Kenny Walker (Raul Mendiola 72), Rafael Garcia (Dan Keat 80), Mike Magee (Jack McBean) , Jose Villareal, Mike Stephens
Subs not used: Sebastian Velasquez, Edson Buddle
CHV – Tristan Bowen (yellow, foul) 44
LA – Todd Dunivant (yellow, foul) 84
Referee: Reed Christy
Referee's Assistants: Cesar Calderon, Adrian Gonzalez
4th Official: Steve Elliott
Time of Game: 1:46
Weather: Sunny, 80 degrees