Recap: Chivas USA 2, Carolina Railhawks 1
CARY, NC. (Tuesday, June 5, 2012) – With a goal by Juan Pablo Angel in injury time, Chivas USA defeated the Carolina RailHawks (NASL) 2-1 on Tuesday night at WakeMed Soccer Park before 7,117 fans and advanced to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals.
· Chivas USA will now host the Quarterfinal round against the Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO), which defeated the San Antonio Scorpions 2-1 in overtime, also on Tuesday night. The game will be played on June 26th at 7:30 p.m. at The Home Depot Center’s Track and Field Stadium in Carson.
· The Rojiblancos will try to reach its second Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal appearance against Charlotte after they lost in the Semifinals against the Sounders in Seattle during the 2010 campaign.
· Forward Juan Agudelo scored at the 31st minute on a header to the far post from a nice cross by Laurent Courtois. It was Agudelo’s second goal with the Red-and-White after being acquired from New York.
· Ten minutes before the final whistle, Mike Palacio took advantage of a loose ball inside the Chivas USA box and blasted a shot past Tim Melia and tied the match 1-1. Palacio entered the game at the 77th minute and scored 2 minutes later.
· In injury time, Angel found himself with the ball inside the area and dribbled RailHawks defender Gale Agbossoumonde, who handled the ball while attempting a slide tackle. Referee Ted Unkel awarded the PK and Angel took a shot into the lower left corner to give the Rojiblancos the final advantage, 2-1.
· Chivas USA had 4 shots on goal during the first half, while the RailHawks had none. However, the home team outshot the Rojiblancos in the second half 10-5.
· The Rojiblancos will resume MLS competition, looking to extend their unbeaten streak to five games when they host Real Salt Lake, Saturday, June 16th, 7:30 p.m (PT) at The Home Depot Center. The match will broadcast on television, live on Prime Ticket in English, and KWHY Channel 22 in Spanish. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa
Chivas USA vs. Carolina RailHawks (U.S. Open Cup 4th Round)
June 5, 2012 – WakeMed Soccer Park
CHV – Juan Agudelo (Laurent Courtois) 31
CAR- Mike Palacio (unassisted) 79
CHV- Juan Pablo Angel (PK) 90
Chivas USA – Timothy Melia; James Riley, Danny Califf , Rauwshan McKenzie, Scott Gordon; Peter Vagenas, Laurent Courtois (Ben Zemanski 63), Blair Gavin (Ryan Smith 83), Peter Vagenas, Jose Correa (Juan Pablo Angel 70) Juan Agudelo.
Subs not used: Dan Kennedy, John Valencia, Cesar Romero
Carolina Railhawks – Ray Burse, Kupono Low, Amir Lowery, Austin Da Luz, Austen King, Gale Agbossoumonde, Breiner Ortiz (Ty Shipalane 68), Mike Zimmerman (Mike Palacio, 77), Brian Shriver, Zach Schilawski, Corey Elenio.
Subs not used: Brian Ackley, Akira Fitzgerald, Jamie Finch, John Krause, Nick Millington.
CAR – Kupono Low (caution) 35
CHV – Blair Gavin (caution) 37
CAR – Breiner Ortiz (caution) 48
CAR – Amir Lowery (caution) 55
CAR- Austan Da Luz (caution) 74
CHV- Ryan Smith (caution) 90
Referee: Loss-Ray Burse