Game Notes: Chivas USA 0:1 LA Galaxy
Chivas USA Notes (0-1 loss vs. LA Galaxy, The Home Depot Center, Carson, Calif., 5/21/11)
• Chivas USA fell by a score of 1-0 to the LA Galaxy on Saturday evening to take the first SuperClásico of the year at The Home Depot Center before 27,000 fans. The game’s lone goal came from Chad Barrett in the 26th minute of the match.
• With the loss, Chivas USA’s season record moves to (3-4-3) and remains in seventh place in the Western Conference with 12 points.
• The winning goal came off a David Beckham free kick and Chad Barrett found space in the Chivas USA area and beat goalkeeper Dan Kennedy with a flick-on header at the 26th minute of the match.
• Chivas USA came close to equalizing in the second half on a number of occasions. The Red-and-White outshot the Galaxy in the second half, mustering 7 shots to the Galaxy’s 4. In the final twenty minutes Chivas USA really pined the Galaxy defense back, with chance after chance and several corner kicks. Perhaps Chivas USA’s night was summed up when midfielder Ben Zemanski hit the left goalpost with a hard 18-yard shot.
• Chivas USA Head Coach Robin Fraser about tonight’s match: “There’s really not much to say. We didn’t play as well as we would’ve liked to; credit to the Galaxy- I thought they played very well starting from the first whistle onto the first half… We weren’t as sharp as we needed to be and as sharp as we’ve been [playing]. In the end, between their good play and our not-so-great play, it was our undoing.”
• The Red-and-White resumes practice on Tuesday and will travel to Columbus on Thursday ahead of Saturday’s match against the Crew at Columbus Crew Stadium, which starts at 4:30 p.m. PT (Prime Ticket).
• Chivas USA’s next home game is on Wednesday June 1st at 7:30 p.m. PT against the Vancouver Whitecaps. For more information about the game and for tickets, please visit cdchivasusa.com or call 1-877-CHIVAS-1.
Los Angeles Galaxy (6-2-5) at Chivas USA (3-4-3)
May 21, 2011 – The Home Depot Center
LA – Chad Barrett (David Beckham) 26
Chivas USA – Dan Kennedy, Ante Jazic, Heath Pearce, Andrew Boyens, Zarek Valentin, Simon Elliott, Jorge Flores (Francisco Mendoza 58), Ben Zemanski, Nick LaBrocca, Justin Braun (Chris Cortez 66), Alejandro Moreno
Los Angeles Galaxy – Donovan Ricketts, Todd Dunivant, Omar Gonzalez, A.J. DeLaGarza, Sean Franklin; Mike Magee (Chris Birchall 64), Juninho, David Beckham (Michael Stephens 89), Landon Donovan; Juan Pablo Angel, Chad Barrett (Miguel López 71)
CHV Simon Elliott (caution; Reckless Foul) 50
CHV Zarek Valentin (caution; Reckless Tackle) 73
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Referee's Assistants: Chris Strickland, Frank Anderson
4th Official: Fotis Bazakos
Time of Game: 1:52
Weather: Clear, 64 degrees