Chivas USA 3:0 New England Revolution
- Chivas USA earned its second straight victory and ran its unbeaten record to five matches with an emphatic 3-0 win over the New England Revolution on Saturday night at The Home Depot Center. Alejandro Moreno highlighted a strong performance from the whole team, with the forward collecting a goal and two assists in the game.
- Nick LaBrocca scored his first goal for Red-and-White when he gave the team the lead 22 minutes into the match, making a run to the near post and flicking a header past Revolution goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth to the far post. Ben Zemanski earned an assist with his floated cross, while Moreno got his first helper of the night for his pass in the build-up.
- The match was about to hit halftime when Moreno created another goal, beating his man to the ball on the end line and crossing into the middle. Marcos Mondaini scored his first Chivas USA goal with an acrobatic finish, jumping high into the air and hitting the ball on the volley from about eight yards out.
- Chivas USA continued to apply pressure in the second half, and Moreno was rewarded for his hard work in minute 57. Taking advantage of a miscommunication between Revolution players Shalrie Joseph and Didier Domi, the striker slipped in to score his third of the season from close range.
- Several Chivas USA players had opportunities to extend the lead, most notably Moreno and midfielder Jorge Flores, who forced two exceptional saves out of Shuttleworth in minute 71. First the Revolution goalkeeper stopped a point-blank flick from Moreno, and then he crossed the net quickly to stop Flores on the rebound.
- On the other end of the field, goalkeeper Dan Kennedy earned his third shutout of the season, making three saves en route to the clean sheet. The best chance of the night for New England came when the Revolution’s Zack Schilawski flicked a shot over Kennedy, but the ball was cleared off the line by Heath Pearce, who continued his excellent play in central defense.
- The win moved Chivas USA to 2-2-3 (W-L-T) in 2011, and into sixth place in the Western Conference, just one point behind the Portland Timbers and Colorado Rapids, and three behind Real Salt Lake and the Seattle Sounders.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Robin Fraser, on tonight’s match: “A lot of things were coming together for us. It wasn’t just this game; it’s been the last series of games…. In terms of things in final third and this aggressive mindset, we’ve gotten better at that and as a result, we scored quite a few goals and overall we did a good job controlling most of the game.” More from players and Fraser can be found on cdchivasusa.com.
- The Red-and-White have Sunday off, and will train on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday before heading to Real Salt Lake for Saturday’s game. Chivas USA faces RSL on Saturday, May 7 at 1:00 p.m. PT, and have another road match at the New York Red Bulls on Sunday, May 15 at 4:00 p.m. PT before returning home.
- Next home game: Chivas USA faces the LA Galaxy in the first Honda SuperClásico of 2011 on Saturday, May 21, at 7:00 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For information, or for tickets to any Chivas USA match, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA 3:0 New England Revolution
April 30, 2011 – The Home Depot Center
CHV -- Nick LaBrocca 1 (Ben Zemanski 1, Alejandro Moreno 1) 22
CHV -- Marcos Mondaini 1 (Alejandro Moreno 2, Ante Jazic 1) 45
CHV -- Alejandro Moreno 3 (unassisted) 57
Chivas USA -- Dan Kennedy, Zarek Valentin, Andrew Boyens, Heath Pearce, Ante Jazic, Ben Zemanski (Mariano Trujillo 70), Simon Elliott, Nick LaBrocca, Jorge Flores (Francisco Mendoza 78), Marcos Mondaini (Justin Braun 66), Alejandro Moreno.
Substitutes Not Used: Victor Estupinan, Gerson Mayen, Michael Umana, Zach Thornton.
TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Flores 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (3 tied with 2); FOULS: 14 (Zemanski 4); OFFSIDE: 3 (Moreno 2); CORNER KICKS: 6 (Pearce 4); SAVES: Kennedy 3
New England Revolution -- Bobby Shuttleworth, Kevin Alston, Franco Coria, A.J. Soares, Didier Domi (Chris Tierney 76), Zak Boggs, Benny Feilhaber, Shalrie Joseph, Kenny Mansally (Sainey Nyassi 46), Rajko Lekic, Zack Schilawski.
Substitutes Not Used: Darrius Barnes, Ryan Cochrane, Kheli Dube, Stephen McCarthy, Matt Reis.
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (4 tied with 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (4 tied with 1); FOULS: 7 (Lekic 2); OFFSIDE: 2 (Boggs 1, Lekic 1); CORNER KICKS: 3 (Boggs 2); SAVES: Shuttleworth 5
NE -- Franco Coria (caution; Reckless Foul) 33
NE -- Shalrie Joseph (caution; Reckless Foul) 39
CHV -- Ben Zemanski (caution; Persistent Infringement) 66
Referee: Mark Kadlecik
Referee's Assistants: Sean Hurd; Mike Kampmeinert
4th Official: Sorin Stoica
Time of Game: 1:50
Weather: Partly Cloudy and 76 degrees