Game Notes: Chivas USA vs. Columbus
- Chivas USA fought the Columbus Crew to a 0-0 draw on Saturday night at The Home Depot Center, giving the team its second consecutive tie and its first point at home in 2011. With the result, the Red-and-White move to 0-2-2 (W-L-T) on the season, while Columbus sits at 1-1-2 so far this year.
- In a game where both team’s defenses held strong and restricted the opponent to very few chances, the highlight of the night was a 74th minute save by Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy. Columbus midfielder Eddie Gaven received the ball behind the defense and shot low and to Kennedy’s left, but the Yorba Linda native was able to tip the ball just wide of the goal.
- The shutout was Chivas USA’s first in 2011, and Kennedy’s first clean sheet since October 11, 2008 against the San Jose Earthquakes on the road. In two games so far this season, Kennedy has allowed just one goal and made four saves.
- Both teams played aggressive, high-intensity defense, and as a result both the number of fouls and yellow cards was high. A total of 38 fouls were called in the game, and Chivas USA received five yellow cards to Columbus’ three.
- The best chance of the night for the Red-and-White came through a swift counterattack in minute 79, with Justin Braun floating a long cross to Nick LaBrocca, who placed his first touch, left-footed shot from about ten yards out directly at Crew goalkeeper William Hesmer.
- Chivas defender Zarek Valentin returned from international duty with the United States Under-20 National Team and slotted back into central defense, taking the spot where he played in the first match of the season for the Red-and-White.
- The Red-and-White will play a reserve game on Sunday morning at 11:00 a.m. at The Home Depot Center’s Track and Field Stadium. The team will be taking on the L.A. Blues of the USL Pro Division, where Chivas USA forward Chukwudi Chijindu is currently on loan.
- Next up for Chivas USA is a pair of road matches, with the team facing the expansion Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday, April 16, followed by California rival San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, April 23.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Robin Fraser, on tonight’s match: “At times, throughout the season so far, we’ve been good enough to win games and let a few games get away from us. Tonight, we could’ve stolen the game, or they could’ve stolen the game. I felt that we weren’t as aggressive as we needed to be and in the end, a draw is a fair result.” More from players and Fraser can be found on cdchivasusa.com.
- Next home game: Chivas USA hosts the New England Revolution on Saturday, April 30 at 7:30 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For more information, or for tickets to any Chivas USA match, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA 0:0 Columbus Crew
April 9, 2011 – The Home Depot Center
Scoring Summary: None
Chivas USA – Dan Kennedy, Heath Pearce, Mike Lahoud, Zarek Valentin, Ante Jazic, Nick LaBrocca, Marcos Mondaini (Gerson Mayén 68), Ben Zemanski, Jorge Flores (Victor Estupiñan 80), Justin Braun, Alejandro Moreno
Substitutes Not Used: Zach Thornton, Mariano Trujillo, Michael Umaña, Francisco Mendoza, Andrew Boyens
TOTAL SHOTS: 5 (5 tied with 1); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (3 tied with 1); FOULS: 22 (Braun 4); OFFSIDE: 1 (LaBrocca 1); CORNER KICKS: 4 (LaBrocca 2); SAVES: Kennedy 2
Columbus Crew – William Hesmer, Rich Balchan, Julius James, Chad Marshall, Sebastian Miranda, Kevin Burns, Eddie Gaven, Robbie Rogers, Dejan Rusmir, Emmanuel Ekpo (Dilly Duka 72), Emilio Renteria (Tommy Heinemann 78)
Substitutes Not Used: Andy Gruenebaum, Jeff Cunningham, Josh Gardner, Andy Iro, Justin Meram
TOTAL SHOTS: 6 (Gaven 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Gaven 1, Renteria 1); FOULS: 16 (3 tied with 3); OFFSIDE: 7 (Renteria 3); CORNER KICKS: 5 (Gaven 5); SAVES: Hesmer 2
CHV – Marcos Mondaini (Caution, Reckless Foul) 35
CLB – Marcos Mondaini (Caution, Reckless Foul) 55
CHV – Zarek Valentin (Caution, Reckless Foul) 59
CLB – Kevin Burns (Caution, Reckless Tackle) 64
CHV – Jorge Flores (Caution, Reckless Foul) 65
CLB – Sebastian Miranda (Caution, Unsporting Behavior) 81
CHV – Nick LaBrocca (Caution, Reckless Foul) 86
CHV – Michael Lahoud (Caution, Tactical Foul) 87
Referee: Yader Reyes
Referee's Assistants: Pater Manikowski, Claudio Badea
4th Official: Alejandro Mariscal
Time of Game: 1:49
Weather: Clear, 58 degrees