Chivas USA Match Notes - 3/29/11
- Chivas USA battled hard after going down to ten men but ultimately fell by a 2-0 score in a U.S. Open Cup play-in game on Tuesday night at Merlo Field in Portland, Oregon. Goals in the last six minutes from Jack Jewsbury and Eric Brunner gave the home side the win, their first since joining MLS.
- A disjointed first half saw Portland getting the majority of the early chances, but as the Red-and-White were getting back into the match, defender Andrew Boyens, making his Chivas USA debut, received a second yellow card for a tackle on Kenny Cooper.
- Going into halftime tied 0-0 but down a man, the Red-and-White responded well, and came out stronger in the second half. Chivas USA had several good chances coming from Justin Braun, Victor Estupiñan and others, and counterattacked the Timbers well.
- In minute 84, Justin Braun broke through the Portland defense and was through on goal, but Jake Gleeson made a stop on the breakaway and on the return trip down the field, Jack Jewsbury struck a hard-hit shot from distance that nicked the post before going into the net to give the Timbers the lead.
- Chivas USA pushed to tie the game, but on a scrum after a corner kick, Eric Brunner scored from close range to put the game on ice.
- Goalkeeper Dan Kennedy made his first start of the season, and Seth Owusu and Boyens both made their Chivas USA debuts. Ben Zemanski played in central defense for the second straight game, next to Boyens in the first half and with Heath Pearce in the second.
- The team departs Portland on Wednesday morning and travels directly to Toronto, Ontario. Saturday’s game against Toronto FC will be live on Prime Ticket and W Radio 690 AM at 10:00 a.m. PT (1:00 p.m. ET).
- Chivas USA Head Coach Robin Fraser, on tonight’s match: “We were down a man, and at that point we were figuring out ways to stay in the game, to be quite honest. We just talked about battling, and making it difficult for them, and seeing if we could sneak an opportunity. To be honest, I was really proud of the effort in the second half.” More from players and Fraser can be found on cdchivasusa.com.
- Next home game: Chivas USA hosts the Columbus Crew on Saturday, April 9 at 7:30 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For more information, or for tickets to any Chivas USA match, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA 0:2 Portland Timbers
March 29, 2011 – Merlo Field at the University of Portland
POR – Jack Jewsbury (unassisted) 84
POR – Eric Brunner (Jack Jewsbury) 89
Chivas USA – Dan Kennedy, Heath Pearce, Ben Zemanski (Tristan Bowen 88), Andrew Boyens, Seth Owusu (Ante Jazic 63), Mike Lahoud, Nick LaBrocca, Francisco Mendoza (Jorge Flores 46), Marcos Mondaini, Justin Braun, Victor Estupiñán
Substitutes Not Used: Zach Thornton, Mariano Trujillo, Gerson Mayén, Sergio Arias
Portland Timbers – Jake Gleeson, Eric Brunner, David Horst, Steve Purdy, Rodney Wallace, Kalif Alhassan, Peter Lowry (Jack Jewsbury 71), James Marcelin, Ryan Pore (Jeremy Hall 65), Kenny Cooper, Jorge Perlaza
Substitutes Not Used: Kevin Guppy, Freddie Braun, Kevin Goldthwaite, Darlington Nagbe, Chris Taylor
CHV – Marcos Mondaini (Caution, Reckless Tackle) 14
CHV – Andrew Boyens (Caution, Reckless Tackle) 35
CHV – Andrew Boyens (Ejection, Second Yellow) 43
CHV – Justin Braun (Caution) 50
PTL – Steve Purdy (Caution) 74
PTL – Jeremy Hall (Caution) 90
Referee: Juan Guzman
Referee's Assistants: Jeff Hosking, Desmond Miller
4th Official: Ronald LaGraff
Time of Game: 1:55
Weather: Cloudy, 56 degrees