Notes vs. Toronto - October 9
- Jorge ‘Sueño’ Flores scored his first goal since 2008 and Jesús Padilla and Rodolfo Espinoza scored late to give Chivas USA a 3-0 victory over Toronto FC on Saturday night at The Home Depot Center. The win came in the Red-and-White’s second to last home game of the season, with the final home match of the year coming October 23 against the Chicago Fire.
- Chivas USA continued its domination of Toronto FC at The Home Depot Center, earning its fourth win over the Canadian team in four tries. Since 2007, the Red-and-White have scored nine goals to Toronto’s one in the four meetings.
- After a scoreless first half, Flores broke the deadlock in minute 51, finishing from close range on a good cross from Espinoza. It was the first goal for ‘Sueño’ since May 31, 2008 against the Columbus Crew, and came in his first start since April 17 of this year.
- The match remained close until the final minutes, when Chivas USA struck twice in quick succession. First, Alan Gordon played the ball to Padilla, who struck a long shot that beat Stefan Frei in the Toronto net in minute 88. Then, in the 90th minute, Espinoza took control of a turnover near the top of the box and curled a left footed shot into the net.
- Padilla’s goal was his fifth of the season, which is second on the team behind Justin Braun, who has nine goals. Espinoza’s strike was his first goal of the year, and Gordon earned his third assist, which is tied with three other players for first on the team.
- Zach Thornton earned the shutout for the Red-and-White, his sixth of the season and 76th of his career, good for second on the all-time MLS list in the category. Thornton made three saves, and was helped when Mariano Trujillo cleared a Maicon Santos shot off the line in the 73rd minute.
- Forward Justin Braun left the game in the 57th minute with an apparent concussion after collision in the middle of the field. He will be re-evaluated next week before determining how much time the team’s leading scorer will miss.
- Toronto FC was forced to play the final minutes of the match down a player after Adrian Cann was knocked out with an injury after TFC made all of its subs.
- With the win, Chivas USA improves to 8-15-4 on the season, good for 28 points. The team has three matches left in the season, first facing Seattle Sounders FC on the road next Friday, then visiting the San Jose Earthquakes the following Wednesday, and finishing at home against the Chicago Fire on October 23.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Martín Vásquez, on tonight’s match: “We asked our guys to play for the jersey, to play for our fans, to play for our pride and they responded, so I’m very pleased with that.” A full audio recap from Vásquez, as well as quotes from Mariano Trujillo, Jonathan Bornstein, Rodolfo Espinoza, and Jorge Flores can be found on Dentro del Rebaño, the official bilingual blog of Chivas USA.
- The Red-and-White will take Sunday off, and then will train Monday through Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. PT on Field 6 at The Home Depot Center. The team travels on Thursday to Seattle for the match against the Sounders on Friday.
- Next home game: Chivas USA will celebrate Fan Appreciation Night for the final MLS game of 2010 on Saturday, October 23 at 8:00 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For more information, or for tickets to the match, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA (8-15-4) 3:0 Toronto FC (8-15-4)
October 9, 2010 – The Home Depot Center
CHV – Jorge Flores 1 (Rodolfo Espinoza 2) 51
CHV – Jesús Padilla 5 (Alan Gordon 3) 88
CHV – Rodolfo Espinoza 1 (unassisted) 90
Chivas USA – Zach Thornton, Mariano Trujillo, Michael Umaña, Ante Jazic, Jonathan Bornstein, Michael Lahoud, Paulo Nagamura, Rodolfo Espinoza, Jorge Flores (Sal Zizzo 76), Justin Braun (Jesús Padilla 57), Alan Gordon
Substitutes Not Used: Kevin Guppy, Yamith Cuesta, Giancarlo Maldonado, Ben Zemanski
TOTAL SHOTS: 9 (3 tied with 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Espinoza 2); FOULS: 10 (Gordon 6); OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: Thornton 3
Toronto FC – Stefan Frei, Nana Attakora, Adrian Cann, Nick Garcia (O’Brian White 73), Maksim Usanov (Ty Harden 60), Julian de Guzman, Dwayne De Rosario, Dan Gargan, Jacob Peterson, Chad Barrett (Nicholas Lindsay 42), Maicon Santos
Substitutes Not Used: Jon Conway, Raivis Hscanovics, Fuad Ibrahim, Nick LaBrocca
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (De Rosario 7); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (De Rosario 2); FOULS: 19 (Santos 3, Gargan 3); OFFSIDE: 5; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: Frei 2
CHV – Alan Gordon (caution; Unsporting Behavior) 74
TFC – Dwayne De Rosario (caution; Reckless Foul) 81
Referee: Terry Vaughn
Referee's Assistants: Greg Barkey, Fabio Tovar
4th Official: Ramon Hernandez
Time of Game: 1:48