Notes vs. Kansas City - September 19, 2010
- With two goals in the last 20 minutes of the match, Chivas USA fell 2-0 at home against the Kansas City Wizards in front of 15,382 fans at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
- With the result, the Red-and-White remains with 25 points and in the seventh place in the Western Conference and is 11 points away from the last Playoff spot, which belongs to Seattle Sounders with 36 points. Chivas USA has six games remaining in the regular season.
- The game didn’t have any shots on goal during the first half and was a real battle until Kansas City’s Kei Kamara appeared with a goal at the 70th minute and then an assist 13 minutes later. In total there were three shots on goal in the entire match, two by the Wizards and one by Chivas USA, all of them in the second half.
- Kansas City’s first goal came when Michael Harrington played a ball to Kamara, who headed it over Darío Delgado and shot past goalkeeper Zach Thornton at the 70th minute. Kamara then created the second goal when he passed the ball to Teal Bunbury, who outran Michael Umaña and blasted a shot past Thornton for the second and definitive goal of the match at the 83rd minute.
- Jonathan Bornstein entered the match at the 66th minute after being absent since the US Open Cup Semifinal match against Seattle Sounders when he picked up a right hip injury.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Martín Vásquez, on tonight’s match: “I’m disappointed because we didn’t take advantage of a great opportunity in front of a good crowd. I’m also very frustrated about losing at home… We put a good performance against New England and against Chivas Guadalajara, but inconsistency has been a problem for us. Today we needed to play good futbol at times but mainly we needed to get the result and we didn’t do that. We need to regroup and I thought there are still a lot of positives.”
- The Red-and-White will resume practice on Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. at The Home Depot Center and will travel to Philadelphia on Thursday to face the Union on Saturday, September 25th, at 1:00 p.m. PT at PPL Park.
- Next home game: Chivas USA returns home on Sunday, October 3rd, against the LA Galaxy in the Honda Super Clásico at 5:00 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For more information, or for tickets to the match, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA (7-14-4) 0:2 Kansas City Wizards (9-9-6)
September 19, 2010 – The Home Depot Center, Carson, Calif.
KC -- Kei Kamara 9 (unassisted) 70
KC -- Teal Bunbury 3 (Kei Kamara 4) 83
Kansas City Wizards -- Jimmy Nielsen, Michael Harrington, Jimmy Conrad, Shavar Thomas, Roger Espinoza, Kei Kamara, Davy Arnaud, Stephane Auvray, Craig Rocastle (Jack Jewsbury 67), Ryan Smith (Graham Zusi 84), Birahim Diop (Teal Bunbury 56).
Substitutes Not Used: Korede Aiyegbusi, Jonathan Leathers, Josh Wolff, Eric Kronberg.
Chivas USA -- Zach Thornton, Mariano Trujillo, Dario Delgado, Michael Umana, Ante Jazic, Michael Lahoud, Ben Zemanski (Sal Zizzo 62), Paulo Nagamura, Rodolfo Espinoza (Jonathan Bornstein 66), Justin Braun (Jesus Padilla 79), Alan Gordon.
Substitutes Not Used: Carlos Borja, Yamith Cuesta, Jorge Flores, Kevin Guppy.
CHV -- Mariano Trujillo (caution; Tactical Foul) 54
CHV -- Michael Umana (caution; Tactical Foul) 75
Referee: Kevin Stott
Referee's Assistants: Kermit Quisenberry; Ian Anderson
4th Official: Ricardo Salazar
Time of Game: 1:51
Weather: Clear and 70 degrees