Notes about the 2009 meeting between Chivas USA and Chivas de Guadalajara
August 19, 2010
Chivas USA Communications
- Francisco Palencia, Ramon Ramírez, Martín Zuniga, Claudio Suárez, Jesús Padilla and Francisco Mendoza have all played for both Chivas USA and Chivas de Guadalajara at sometime during their careers.
- Chivas USA acquired Jesus Padilla from Chivas de Guadalajara on August 17, 2009, after Padilla joined Guadalajara’s Youth Teams and debuted with Guadalajara as a professional soccer player in 2006.
- Chivas USA lost 2-0 in the first ever ChivaClásico in September 23, 2009, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. The ChivaClásico in 2009 was part of Guadalajara’s U.S. tour, and was the first time the two teams faced off in the United States.
- Some players that participated in the 2009 match: For Guadalajara, Ramon Morales, goalkeeper Luís Ernesto Michel, strikers Javier “Chicharito” Hernández and Omar Bravo, as well as the Mexican national defenders, Jonny Magallón and Aaron Galindo participated in the game. Chivas USA was led by current U.S. National Team members Jonathan Bornstein and Sacha Kljestan, as well as forwards Maykel Galindo and Eduardo Lillingston, and U.S.-born midfielder Jesus Padilla.
- In the first ChivasClásico, Chivas USA wore its home jerseys against Guadalajara. Chivas USA played in the familiar red-and-white stripes, while Chivas de Guadalajara wore its orange and gray away jersey.
- Chivas USA and Guadalajara also participated in Chivas USA’s “Jerseys Off Our Backs’ tradition, where the players that finish the match presented their game-worn jerseys to lucky fans. Fans were presented with the jerseys – directly from the players – during a special on-field presentation at the end of the game.
- Guadalajara has been the host of Chivas USA’s preseason in Mexico for the last couple of years. Early this year, Chivas USA trained for a week at Verde Valle, the facilities that are home to Chivas de Guadalajara.
Click here for information on the 2010 ChivaClasico, set for September 14 at PETCO Park in San Diego, CA.