Notes vs. Real Salt Lake July 24, 2010
With a goal by Jesus Padilla one minute after entering the match as a substitute and with seven saves by Dan Kennedy, Chivas USA tied Real Salt Lake 1-1 on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium in front of a sell-out crowd of 19,469 fans.
- The Red-and-White (4-9-3) has now an undefeated streak of three MLS matches and reaches 15 points in the Western Conference. The Red-and-White has earned five of their last nine points in league play.
- Chivas USA forward Jesus Padilla entered the match at the 69 minute for Paulo Nagamura and scored one minute later with a 30-yard shot that Rimando tried to clear but the ball went between his legs for the tying goal. It was Padilla’s fourth goal of the season. Real Salt Lake midfielder Ned Grabavoy had given the lead to the MLS Cup Champions four minutes before with a spectacular volley from outside the box after a corner kick that forward Justin Braun had cleared out at the 66th minute.
- Chivas USA goalkeeper Dan Kennedy (fourth start of the season) had a busy night with seven saves, six of those during the second half. Kennedy replaced injured goalkeeper Zach Thornton, who has a left ankle sprain.
- Three players made their 2010 MLS debut tonight: midfielders Paulo Nagamura and Rodolfo Espinoza, as well as forward Giancarlo Maldonado. The three signed with the Red-and-White for this second half of the season and participated with Chivas USA during SuperLiga.
- Post-Game soundbytes from Head Coach Martín Vásquez, Giancarlo Maldonado, Darío Delgado, and Dan Kennedy will be available shortly on Dentro del Rebaño (‘Inside the Flock’), the official blog of Chivas USA.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Martín Vásquez on tonight’s match: “We came here with the attitude to win the game because we need to add points to stay close to all the teams in the Conference. We will take the point; it’s a good result considering the way things happened in the game. The effort and the load of nine games in 28 days, I think it was a good result and we will take it.”
- Chivas USA will travel to Los Angeles on Sunday and will have the day off on Monday. The team will resume training on Tuesday at 10:00 am.
- Next game: Chivas USA will face the Columbus Crew next Saturday, July 31, at 7:30 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. For more information, call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA 1:1 Real Salt Lake
July 14, 2010 – Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, UT.
RSL -- Ned Grabavoy 2 (unassisted) 66
CHV -- Jesus Padilla 4 (unassisted) 70
CHV -- Rodolfo Espinoza (caution; Reckless Foul) 28
RSL -- Kyle Beckerman (caution; Reckless Tackle) 51
CHV -- Mariano Trujillo (caution; Reckless Tackle) 54
CHV -- Dan Kennedy (caution; Delaying a Restart) 78
RSL -- Alvaro Saborio (caution; Dissent) 82
Chivas USA -- Dan Kennedy, Mariano Trujillo, Michael Umana, Dario Delgado, Ante Jazic, Michael Lahoud (Ben Zemanski 46), Paulo Nagamura (Jesus Padilla 69), Blair Gavin, Rodolfo Espinoza, Justin Braun, Giancarlo Maldonado (Carlos Borja 82).
Substitutes Not Used: Jorge Flores, Marcelo Saragosa, Chukwudi Chijindu, Kevin Guppy.
Real Salt Lake -- Nick Rimando, Tony Beltran, Nat Borchers, Jamison Olave, Chris Wingert, Andy Williams, Kyle Beckerman (Ned Grabavoy 62), Javier Morales, Will Johnson, Alvaro Saborio (Pablo Campos 83), Fabian Espindola (Robbie Findley 68).
Substitutes Not Used: Rauwshan McKenzie, Robbie Russell, Jean Alexandre, Tim Melia.
Referee: Mark Geiger
Referee's Assistants: Paul Scott; Peter Manikowski
4th Official: Ramon Hernandez
Time of Game: 1:52
All statistics contained in this boxscore are unofficial