Notes vs. Houston: May 8
- Chivas USA conceded a pair of goals in the first eight minutes as the Red-and-White fell 2-0 to the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night at The Home Depot Center. Brad Davis and Adrian Serioux struck for the Dynamo, who move to 4-3-1 (W-L-T) on the season. Chivas USA falls to 3-4-1 in 2010.
- After Houston went up in the 8th minute, Chivas USA dominated the match but could not find the net, as the Red-and-White finished with 13 shots to the Dynamo’s five. Houston only managed two shots on goal in the match but moved to 8-1-5 all-time against Chivas USA in the regular season.
- Chivas USA captain Sacha Kljestan set a new team record for MLS regular season matches played, with 112, breaking the record set by Francisco ‘Panchito’ Mendoza, who played with the team from 2005-2008. The midfielder, who joined the team out of Seton Hall in 2006,
- The Red-and-White used the same starting lineup from the midweek match against New England, but inserted Marcelo Saragosa for Gerson Mayén to start the second half. Chukwudi Chijindu and Maicon Santos both entered in the second session to try to spark the offense.
- The Red-and-White have Sunday off before returning to the training field from Monday through Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. before departing on Thursday for Saturday’s match at the Columbus Crew.
- Chivas USA defender Jonathan Bornstein, a native of Los Alamitos and World Cup hopeful, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at Sunday’s game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Colorado Rockies at 1:05 p.m. PT at Dodgers Stadium. For more information, please contact Eduard Cauich at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-310-982-3656.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Martín Vásquez, on tonight’s match: “We came out flat, and they took advantage. That was the difference. Playing against a team like Houston you can’t come out flat…. We created plays, but… we couldn’t tie the game.” A full series of quotes from Vásquez is available on Dentro del Rebaño (‘Inside the Flock’), the official blog of Chivas USA.
- Next home game: Chivas USA will host the defending MLS Champion Real Salt Lake on Saturday, May 22 at 7:30 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For more information, or to purchase tickets, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Chivas USA (3-4-1) 0:2 Houston Dynamo (4-3-1)
May 8, 2010 – The Home Depot Center, Carson, CA
HOU – Brad Davis 1 (Brian Mullan 1) 4
HOU – Adrian Serioux 1 (Brad Davis 1) 8
Chivas USA – Zach Thornton, Mariano Trujillo, Darío Delgado, Michael Umaña, Jonathan Bornstein, Jesús Padilla (Chukwudi Chijindu 52), Ben Zemanski, Blair Gavin, Gerson Mayén (Marcelo Saragosa 46), Sacha Kljestan, Justin Braun (Maicon Santos 73)
Substitutes Not Used: Kevin Guppy, Carlos Borja, Jorge Flores, José Macotelo
Houston Dynamo – Pat Onstad, Adrian Serioux, Bobby Boswell, Craig Waibel, Mike Chabala, Corey Ashe (Samuel Appiah 72), Lovel Palmer, Brad Davis (Ryan Cochrane 88), Richard Mulrooney, Brian Mullan, Dominic Oduro (Luis Landin 64)
Substitutes Not Used: Tally Hall, Andrew Hainault, Danny Cruz, Brian Ching
Chivas USAHouston Dynamo
total shots:13(Sacha Kljestan 4) 5(Brad Davis 2)
shots on goal:2(Jonathan Bornstein 1, Justin Braun 1) 2(Brad Davis 1, Adrian Serioux 1)
fouls:12(Blair Gavin 4) 8(Lovel Palmer 2)
offsides:0 3(3 tied with 1)
corner kicks:6(Jesús Padilla 3) 3(Brad Davis 3)
saves:02(Pat Onstad 2)
CHV – Mariano Trujillo (caution, Reckless Tackle) 37
HOU – Mike Chabala (caution, Delaying a Restart) 17
referee: Abbey Okulaja
Referee's Assistants: Adam Garner, Jeff Hosking
4th official: Baldomero Toledo
time of game: 1:52
weather: Clear, 64 degrees
All statistics contained in this boxscore are unofficial